Subject: Re: [PATCH] RFC: add MAINTAINERS file

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 06:29:13 -0700

Linus Arver <[email-masked]> writes:

> I realize that such an idea is beyond the scope of a simple MAINTAINERS
> (or similar) file that's checked into the Git code repo, but I think
> it's worth stating as a thought experiment.

As we already have agreed that neither of us care the exact format
of the file (yet), regardless of how a contributor, who is about to
send a patch, will find an area "maintainer" to help the patch along
the process, it is far more important to discuss and decide what
responsibilities and authorities are expected of these maintainers.

The development community has been fairly loosely organized so far,
but I'd like to see responsibility and authority spread a bit more
widely yet still not too thinly to compromise the project integrity.

> The overall point I want to make is that we need to be
> extra-thankful to those who sign up to say "yes, I can review
> patches in areas X, Y, Z" and recognize (in a very official way)
> their generosity in contributing back to this project.

Yup.