Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 2/2] [RFC] push: allow delete one level ref

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 09:12:54 -0800

ZheNing Hu <[email-masked]> writes:

> ... Therefore, generally speaking, it's better not to let users
> create/update special one-level references.

The question was "Is it that we are actively discouraging one-level
refs like refs/stash, so removing is fine but once removed we do not
allow creating or updating?"

You could just have given a single word answer, Yes, then.

> Certainly, I can remove the previous section as you requested.

I didn't request to do anything to the change.  I asked you to
explain why you allow only delete without create/update, and without
knowing why, I didn't have enough information to make such a request.

I think "we discourage a single-level refnames so allow deleting one
that may have been created by mistake, but do not allow creation or
deletion as before" does make sense.  As long as that is explained
in the proposed log message and in the end-user facing documentation,
I am happy with the new behaviour.

Thanks.