Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] mingw: remove msysGit/MSYS1 support

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 12:58:09 +0900

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> "Harshil-Jani via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> From: Harshil-Jani <[email-masked]>
>>
>> The msysGit (i.e. Git for Windows 1.x' SDK) is no longer used and the
>> last known user for MSys1 + MinGW has switched to MSys2.
>
> It is curious that we can speak with such a certainty of the lack of
> users of such a popular project.  References?

I see J6t mentioning about such a switch,

  https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

but I do not know if it is sensible to claim that this was the last
known user switching away.  Perhaps

    Last time the code around here was modified, which eventually
    led to 49d279f8 (windows: include the Python bits when building
    Git for Windows, 2022-07-29), the change was carefully written
    to keep things unchanged for Msys1, as at least one user
    (Johannes Sixt) who did crucial work to support Git on Windows
    and we did not want to break Msys1 (yet).  In the discussion J6t
    confirmed that he no longer is on Msys1 (cf. [*1*]).

to replace the paragraph, with this at the end

    [References]
    *1* https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/)

explain the change (be sure to explain ../THIS_IS_MSYSGIT bit, too,
not just the $(uname_R) bit), and then throw in something like

    There may be users other than J6t who needs a working Msys1, but
    we can revert this patch if it becomes necessary (i.e. when they
    complain).

somewhere?

Thanks.