Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 2/3] t0021: implementation the rot13-filter.pl script in C

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 12:58:16 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Checkpatch is OK, but IIRC, you cannot ask to check "only the code I
> changed in this patch" to clang-format, which may be the show
> stopper.  Otherwise, I would quite welcome an automated "pre-flight"
> automation, like "make" target, that submitters can use and GGG can
> help them use.

Let me step a bit back.  I do not think any automated tool would be
free of false positives, so it is OK to configure the tool loose and
have "judgement case" still be dealt by human reviewer, but if the
automation is overly strict, that would probably waste submitters'
time too much.

You would need to accept that the new contributors are human and are
capable of learning and configuring editors on their end, and after
they get reminded of the style rules once or twice and they get used
to the process, they would also help coaching yet even newer
contributors.

I personally feel that the level of style issues that need to be
pointed out among the recent list traffic is not overly excessive.

Thanks.