Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] rebase.c: state preserve-merges has been removed

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2022 08:45:36 -0700

Philip Oakley <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 26/05/2022 21:33, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>>>> So there's no point in changing this string, nor to have translators
>>>> focus on it, it'll never be used.
>>>>
>>>>
> The translation change would need to be a separate patch, no? That
> would make it easy to drop if not wanted.

I think you are responding to what Ævar said, but the string this
patch is modifying is already inside N_(), and modifying a string
that is already marked for translation in any way (other than
removing the N_() or _() around it) incurs the cost to translate the
updated string already, with or without any separate patch.

If we are adding a new die() call that uses a new message, we should
mark the message for translation from the beginning.  The messages
produced by die/warning/error are meant to be read by human users,
so unless there is some very strong reason not to, they should be
marked for translation.