Subject: Re: reference-transaction regression in 2.36.0-rc1

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 12:52:03 -0700

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:

> This does look lik a series regression.

Yes.

> I haven't had time to bisect this, but I suspect that it'll come down to
> something in the 991b4d47f0a (Merge branch
> 'ps/avoid-unnecessary-hook-invocation-with-packed-refs', 2022-02-18)
> series.

With the issue that /var/tmp/.git can cause trouble to those who
work in /var/tmp/$USER/playpen being taken reasonably good care of
already, it seems this is the issue with the highest priority at
this point.

> I happen to know that Patrick is OoO until after the final v2.36.0 is
> scheduled (but I don't know for sure that we won't spot this thread &
> act on it before then).
>
> Is this something you think you'll be able to dig into further and
> possibly come up with a patch? It looks like you're way ahead of at
> least myself in knowing how this *should* work :)

Thanks.