Subject: Re: [RFC] introducing git replay

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 10:05:03 -0700

Edmundo Carmona Antoranz <[email-masked]> writes:

> This is a RFC because:
> - Perhaps it is already possible to do it with git rebase
>   to achieve the same? But I haven't seen a recipe that
>   gets it done in stackoverflow, at least.

Without thinking about it too much, out of gut reaction, it looks
like a better target for fast-export piped to fast-import than
rebase or amend, if all it can do is to replay on _identical_ state
and nothing else.

> Let me know what you think.
> Interesting? Not?

If this _were_ to allow some slight deviations of the base and carry
the differences forward, then it definitely belongs to rebase, and
perhaps "rebase --replay-merges" should be taught to behave better
without introducing a new option.  But otherwise, I do not think it
is all that useful.  

Also, if this _were_ to allow recreating the shape of the history,
using updated tips of branches that were merged in the original
history, perhaps taking hints from "Merge branch X into Y" in the
original merge commit's log messages, that would be quite useful
addition to the rebase mechanism, but this is not that.

So, not really, to me at least.