Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH] Makefile: add test-all target

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2021 10:12:07 -0800

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:

>> So, how about doing it this way?  This is based on 'master' and does
>> not cover contrib/scalar, but if we want to go this route, it should
>> be trivial to do it on top of a merge of ab/ci-updates and js/scalar
>> into 'master'.  Good idea?  Terrible idea?  Not good enough?
>
> With the caveat that I think the greater direction here makes no sense,
> i.e. scalar didn't need its own build system etc. in the first place, so
> having hack-upon-hack to fix various integration issues is clearly worse
> than just having it behave like everything else....

We decided to start Scalar in contrib/, as it hasn't been proven
that Scalar is in a good enough shape to deserve to be in this tree,
and we are giving it a chance by adding it to contrib/ first, hoping
that it may graduate to the more official status someday [*].

And 'test-extra' is a way to give test coverage to things already in
contrib/ that has 'test' target in their Makefile.  When js/scalar
gets merged to a tree with 'test-extra' target, it may be tested in
that target, too, because we want to have it behave like everything
else.

[Footnote]

*1* You may not like the "try unproven things in contrib/ first and
    then we may graduate it later" approach, but that particular
    ship has sailed and this is not a time to complain and waste
    project's time.