Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] color: support "default" to restore fg/bg color

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 09:41:51 -0700

Robert Estelle <[email-masked]> writes:

> Those are good examples. Note that this applies to more cases than
> those relying on transparency or patterns: color terms often have
> defaults that are not identical to their ANSI palette. I suspect
> *most* themes are probably this way, based on a quick sampling.
>
> You can see a bunch of examples here:
> https://github.com/mbadolato/iTerm2-Color-Schemes#screenshots in all
> the themes where the background color in the "40m" column isn't the
> same as the unset column before it. (All of Terminal.app's built-in
> themes are that way; I know xterm defaults to black on white vs white
> on black; and so on).

I think you are wasting your time giving these to _us_ on the list
who happen to already understand what the issue you are attempting
to fix with these patches.  The suggestion was that you would help
future readers of "git log" if you wrote even just one or a few of
them in your proposed log message.  Those who will be digging the
history, perhaps they want to fix something in near-by code, may not
be aware of this discussion but the log message is a good place to
leave a note for them.

Thanks.