Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/11] rebase: reset_head() related fixes and improvements

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2021 21:58:03 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> When merged with other topics in flight in 'seen', this seems to
> fail the t1092 test (most likely, ds/add-rm-with-sparse-index is
> what this interacts badly with).

There are Two CI runs at GitHub:

 - https://github.com/git/git/actions/runs/1297117791 (d3a1c4e)
 - https://github.com/git/git/actions/runs/1297232973 (a1108c2)

The difference between the former (which passes all the tests) and
he latter (which fails) are only two topics:

    $ git log --first-parent --oneline d3a1c4e..a1108c2
    a1108c2b1b Merge branch 'hn/reftable' into seen
    e575f29006 Merge branch 'pw/fix-some-issues-in-reset-head' into seen

I think the following is the same failure I saw earlier

   https://github.com/git/git/runs/3773780195?check_suite_focus=true#step:6:5033

that the write-tree codepath hits assertion failure by detecting a
corruption in the cache-tree data structure.

e575f29006 (i.e. without the reftable topic) fails t1092.  If you
revert e575f29006^2 (i.e. the "do not fork 'git checkout'") from
that merge, all tests pass including t1092.

The reftable topic is queued near the tip of 'seen' not necessarily
because it _breaks_ CI (I do not think it does), but it needed a
handful of fixup commits on top.  The topic needs rerolling with the
fixes squashed in.

Thanks.