Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Sep 2021, #01; Thu, 2)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2021 14:55:10 -0700

Han-Wen Nienhuys <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 12:48 AM Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> * hn/reftable (2021-08-26) 29 commits
>>  - SQUASH??? https://github.com/git/git/runs/3439941236?check_suite_focus=true#step:5:700
>>  - reftable: fixup for new base topic 3/3
>>  - reftable: fixup for new base topic 2/3
>>  - reftable: fixup for new base topic 1/3
> ..
>>  The "reftable" backend for the refs API.
>
> I posted a subset of these patches as
> https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Thanks for a ping.  I saw it but haven't read it.

> As discussed with AEvar, it will probably speed things up if we can
> focus on getting the base library submitted without hooking it up to
> Git. This would avoid cross-interactions with other pending topics,
> and reduce the size of the more controversial topic (hooking it up to
> Git).

My worry is that a "base library" that is not hooked up to anything
that works in the system would not be properly reviewed at all.  Of
course, without review, it would speed things up, but it is unclear
if that the kind of speed we want.

Anyway, I'll eject the old topic and replace them with the latest
one soonish.

Thanks.