Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/7] Add a new --remerge-diff capability to show & log

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 13:03:24 -0700

"Elijah Newren via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Here are some patches to add a --remerge-diff capability to show & log,
> which works by comparing merge commits to an automatic remerge (note that
> the automatic remerge tree can contain files with conflict markers).

Excited ;-)

>  * This new option does not (currently) work for octopus merges, since
>    merge-ort is specific to two-parent merges[1].

Unless you do so manually, the native "octopus" backend does not let
you create non-trivial merges anyway, so punting on them should not
be a big loss.  Falling back to --cc might be a usable alternative.

>  * This option will not work on a read-only or full filesystem[2].

OK.  I am not sure if it is worth doing the "temporary objects"
trick, though---would it risk repository corruption if somebody is
creating a new blob that happens to be identical to the one that is
involved in the remerge operation at the same time, or there is no
visibility of the temporary area to these "somebody" outside so
there is no risk?