Subject: Re: Definition of "the Git repository"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 23:59:21 -0700

Kevin Buckley <[email-masked]> writes:

> git init
>
> initialises a Git repository, however, the only thing that changes
> as a result is that a .git directory has been created, ergo, the
> .git directory is the repository.

Well, there is a distinction between "non-bare" and "bare"
repository, so it is not exactly _wrong_ per-se to include the
working tree portion of a non-bare repository as part of the
repository created when you run "git clone", i.e. it is not a crime
to say "please run 'git clone' to get a new repository to work in".

Often we do need to single out the things under .git/ in a non-bare
repository when explaining certain features of Git, and need to
clarify if it is not clear in the context (e.g. "the .git repository
proper in the result of such a non-bare 'git clone'").  

It is nothing new in inter-human communication.

If there is a use of word "repository" in our documentation where it
is not clear if the repository proper or the combination of both
working tree and the repository prper is meant, you may want to
propose a clarification patch.

Thanks.