Subject: Re: [PATCH] docs: clarified that --lost-found implies --no-reflogs

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2021 11:02:26 -0800

"Marco Luzzara via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: Marco Luzzara <[email-masked]>
>
> git fsck --lost-found does not look for references in the reflog. If not specified, it could create misunderstandings like this one: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/66401232/git-fsck-combining-lost-found-and-unreachable

Thanks for attempting to improve our documentation.

 - Please avoid an overly long line like the above.  Wrap your line
   at around 60-70 columns.

 - Please do not force readers to visit external site to understand
   why your change is useful.  You should be able to summarize the
   puzzlement described there in a few sentences, something like:

	The documentation does not say "git fsck --lost-found" uses
	"--no-reflogs" to make it easier to find objects that are
	not reachable from the tip of refs, which leads people to
	wonder why commits that are reachable only from reflogs are
	shown as dangling (see https://stackoverflow.com/questions/66401232
	for an example).

   perhaps.

> @@ -89,7 +89,7 @@ care about this output and want to speed it up further.
>  	Write dangling objects into .git/lost-found/commit/ or
>  	.git/lost-found/other/, depending on type.  If the object is
>  	a blob, the contents are written into the file, rather than
> -	its object name.
> +	its object name. This option implies `--no-reflogs`.

It also would be a good idea to explain why it implies that.

THanks.