Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] git-difftool-helper.sh: learn a new way go back to last save point

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2021 15:34:41 -0800

David Aguilar <[email-masked]> writes:

> What if instead of global state, maybe the user could specify a path
> that difftool could skip forward to?   For example, we could teach
> difftool to resume by telling it where we last left off:
>
>    git difftool --resume-from=foo/bar099.txt
>
> Then we don't need the global counter state file?

Does it have to be the second and subsequent invocation to pass the
new "resume-from" option?  As we do not have "global" state, I would
presume that we do not even know if it is the first invocation, so
perhaps a better name would be "--start-from=$pathname"?

> Finally, I'm going to plug what I believe to be the right tool for the
> job here.  Have you tried git cola?[1]  Difftool is tightly
> integrated, and the UI is such that you can trivially choose any of
> the modified/staged files and difftool them by using the Ctrl-d
> hotkey.
>
> https://github.com/git-cola/git-cola/
>
> Cola is purpose-built for driving difftool, and for interactive
> staging, so not mentioning it in the context of wanting a better UI
> for difftool would be a disservice to difftool users.

;-)