Subject: Re: [PATCH] name-rev: Fix tag lookup on repository with mixed types of tags

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 15:03:46 -0700

Orgad Shaneh <[email-masked]> writes:

> Commit 7550424804 (name-rev: include taggerdate in considering the best
> name) introduced a bug in name-rev.
>
> If a repository has both annotated and non-annotated tags, annotated
> tag will always win, even if it was created decades after the commit.

Thanks.  It is a problem that light-weight tags are unduly
penalized, and we attempted to address it a few months ago in a
slightly different way.  The necessary changes are already in
'master' but not yet in any released branch.

Here is an entry in the Release Notes for the next release that will
come out of the current 'master'.

 * "git describe --contains" penalized light-weight tags so much that
   they were almost never considered.  Instead, give them about the
   same chance to be considered as an annotated tag that is the same
   age as the underlying commit would.
   (merge ef1e74065c jc/name-rev-lw-tag later to maint).