Subject: Re: [RFCv2 05/16] remote.h: Change get_remote_heads return to void

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2015 14:41:11 -0700

Stefan Beller <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Stefan Beller <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> No function uses the return value of get_remote_heads, so we don't want
>>> to confuse readers by it.
>>>
>>> Signed-off-by: Stefan Beller <[email-masked]>
>>> ---
>>
>> This is somewhat a sad change, as the returned value is designed to
>> be useful if caller wants to continue appending to the list.
>
> But there are no callers since like 2005. ;)

That is not a good excuse when it comes to the API design to deal
with linked lists in a bog-standard way, though.  Many callers of
commit_list_insert() may ignore its return values, but even when the
last caller stopped caring it, that does not necessarily mean the
feature can be removed.