Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 2/5] log: honor log.merges= option

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2015 19:28:26 -0700

Koosha Khajehmoogahi <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 04/04/2015 10:00 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Koosha Khajehmoogahi <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>>> From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
>>>
>>> [kk: wrote commit message]
>> 
>> Ehh, what exactly did you write ;-)?
>> 
>> I think the most important thing that needs to be explained by the
>> log message for this change is that the variable is honored only by
>> log and it needs to explain why other Porcelain commands in the same
>> "log" family, like "whatchanged", should ignore the variable.
>>
> So, what would be the reason? 

It is strange that you have to ask me to give you the reason why you
chose it that way, isn't it?

>> I think that we must not to allow format-patch and show to be
>> affected by this variable, because it is silly if log.merges=only
>> broke format-patch output or made "git show" silent.  But I didn't
>> think about others.  Whoever is doing this change needs to explain
>> in the log message the reason why it was decided that only "git log"
>> should pay attention to it.
>>