Subject: Re: git bundle vs git rev-list

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 15:40:06 -0800

"brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, Dec 05, 2014 at 03:36:18PM -0700, Jesse Hopkins wrote:
>> 1. Any thoughts on why a tag would be included by 'git bundle', when
>> 'git rev-list' with the same arguments returns empty?
>
> I think the answer to this is found in the git rev-list manpage:
>
>   List commits that are reachable by following the parent links from the
>   given commit(s), but exclude commits that are reachable from the
>   one(s) given with a ^ in front of them.
>
> The operative word here is "commits".  A bundle might include one or
> more tag objects, or unannotated tags, even though no new commits were
> available within the time frame.

Is this what a recent "git bundle create" change in 2.1.1 and 2.2
fixed?  The Release Notes to them seem to have this entry:

 * "git bundle create" with date-range specification were meant to
   exclude tags outside the range, but it did not work correctly.