Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] combine-diff: don't override recursive flag in diff_tree_combined()

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2025 08:27:58 -0700

Toon Claes <[email-masked]> writes:

> This patch is based on 'next' at 1ba7204a04 (Merge branch
> 'kh/doc-markup-fixes' into next, 2025-09-03).

Can't you be a bit more specific?  We usually say "do not build on
'next'", but what we really mean by that statement are

 * Your topic may interact with some topics already in 'next', but
   it is unlikely that you depend on _all_ of them.  If you are
   willing to depend on a few selected topics (meaning: you accept
   that you have to adjust your topic when they get updated, and you
   accept that you cannot graduate before all of them graduate),
   identify them and build on the result of a merge of these topics
   into 'master'.  State how you constructed your base in your cover
   letter.

 * If you are truly depending on _everything_ in 'next', then stop.
   Wait until all of them graduates, and then submit your topic
   after that.

Thanks.