Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 0/2] refs: fix some bugs with batched-updates

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2025 21:23:07 -0700

Karthik Nayak <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Just to let you know, as these two are fixups to the topic that are
>> no longer in 'next' as we rewound the tip of 'next' after release,
>> if you want, you can redo the base topic instead of piling small
>> fixes on top.
>>
>
> Well the first patch in this series, is a bug fix for master since we
> already have batched updates exposed via git-update-ref(1). So only the
> second patch can be squashed in.
>
> That said, while it is easier for me to not re-roll, I'd happy to do so,
> what do you think?

I'll let you decide; please choose whichever way you consider would
give us the better result.  The second one seems to be a band-aid
that trades one bug with another bug, so it may be prudent to leave
it separate.  It would make it easier for a future change that fixes
the lower-layer transaction processing to refer to it, with "earlier
we took thw two step approach, which had these downsides. now we fix
the issue for real".

Thanks.