Subject: Re: [PATCH v6 2/2] send-email: show the new message id assigned by outlook in the logs

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2025 09:01:15 -0700

Aditya Garg <[email-masked]> writes:

> This patch fixes this by modifying the $header variable, which is
> responsible for showing the logs at the end. Also, the log which states
> that the Message-ID has been changed will now be shown only when
> smtp-debug is enabled, since the main log having all of the headers is
> anyways displaying the new Message-ID. It should look like this after
> this patch:

We do not say "This patch does X" or "I do Y" when describing a
change.  Rather, you give an order to somebody who is modifying the
codebase to "make it so".  Something like ...

    Fix this by updating the $header variable, which has the message
    ID we internally assigned on the "Message-ID:" header, with the
    message ID the Outlook server assigned.

The change itself looks good, but ...

> +				# Replace the original Message-ID in $header with the new one
> +				$header =~ s/^(Message-ID:\s*).*\n/${1}$message_id\n/m;

... is the comment adding any useful information over what the code
already says?

Will queue, with a typofix to "incrmented" in [1/2].

Thanks.