Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/6][Outreachy] Introduce os-version Capability with Configurable Options

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2025 07:26:14 -0800

Christian Couder <[email-masked]> writes:

> information in the process. The fact that it's used to pass
> information about available features has led to a lot of user agent
> spoofing which means that analytics, statistics and debugging are
> likely harder than they need to be.

Yes, that is a valid viewpoint, but ...

> When Git developed capabilities and the "agent" capability, the doc
> took care of saying things that it "MUST NOT be used to
> programmatically assume the presence or absence of particular
> features".

... the proposed os-version thing has the same wording in its
documentation, doesn't it?  What is being added is not to be used
in a way that requires parsing and trusting the result.

So unless your point is that users (like those who parse User-Agent
string by browsers) will do the wrong thing and assume these strings
are usable for feature detection anyway so we should make it easier
to parse, I'd have to disagree.  If we are not aiming to make it
easier to parse and assume certain things that we do not want them
to, I do not see why we need to have the pieces of information in
two separate capabilities.

Thanks.