Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] batch blob diff generation

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2024 18:17:01 -0800

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Yeah, you're right.  I forgot about attr.tree (does not seem to be
> documented, by the way)

We do have an entry in Documentation/config/attr.txt that describes
the three; I simply assumed it is not documented as I didn't see it
mentioned in Documentation/git.txt where --attr-source &
GIT_ATTR_SOURCE are described.

We may want to add something like this, perhaps?

----- >8 -----
Subject: doc: give attr.tree a bit more visibility

In "git help config" output, attr.tree mentions both --attr-source
and GIT_ATTR_SOURCE, but the description of --attr-source and
GIT_ATTR_SOURCE that appear in "git help git", attr.tree is missing.

Add it so that these three are described together in both places.

Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/git.txt | 5 ++++-
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git c/Documentation/git.txt w/Documentation/git.txt
index d15a869762..13f6785408 100644
--- c/Documentation/git.txt
+++ w/Documentation/git.txt
@@ -228,7 +228,10 @@ If you just want to run git as if it was started in `<path>` then use
 --attr-source=<tree-ish>::
 	Read gitattributes from <tree-ish> instead of the worktree. See
 	linkgit:gitattributes[5]. This is equivalent to setting the
-	`GIT_ATTR_SOURCE` environment variable.
+	`GIT_ATTR_SOURCE` environment variable.  The `attr.tree`
+	configuration variable is used as a fallback when this option
+	or the environment variable are not in use.
+
 
 GIT COMMANDS
 ------------