Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 0/3] doc: introducing synopsis para

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2024 10:16:10 -0700

"Jean-Noël Avila via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Changes since V4:
>
>  * used BRE in sed filter
>  * rework the processing of three dots

The topic has been deep in 'next' already, and I wasn't expecting a
wholesale replacement.  But thanks for updating.

As the patches are more in the technology demonstration phase by
converting only a few pages and making sure other uses of `` outside
the synopsis section in unconverted pages are not broken, we can
declare that the three-patch series will not be in 2.47 and will
keep it in 'next'.  So let me revert the merge of the previous one
out of 'next' and queue this one afresh to 'seen' to see how well it
works.

Josh (or whoever is taking over this week from him at Google), can
you see if the breakage you saw that stopped us merging the topic
before it causes us trouble on 'master' reproduces with this version
(either by running "make doc" on the topic branch by itself, or on
'seen' that merges the topic) in your environment that had trouble
with the previous round?

It would also be highly appreciated if other macOS users try "make
doc" and see the resulting git-init and git-clone documentation
pages are reasonable, both for the previous round that has been
cooking in 'next' and for this latest round.  Inputs from folks on
more mainstream platforms with modern asciidoc/asciidoctor toolchain
would also help.  The more people we have who look at how the new
way the synopsis section is written and how the resulting documents
get rendered, the more fairly we can assess the value of this topic.

Thanks.