Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] send-pack: add new tracing regions for push

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2024 13:30:59 -0700

Josh Steadmon <[email-masked]> writes:

>> ... understandable if there weren't any suitable mechanism to simply log
>> "the control passed at this spot at this time" kind of event in the
>> trace2 subsystem, but I do not think it is the case.
>
> Ack, changed this to a "trace2_printf()" instead. Annoyingly the JSON
> Event trace2 target that we use at $DAYJOB doesn't log these events, but
> I can add another patch to enable that.

Ahh, OK, I was concentrating solely on the producing side, and
forgot to consider that the consuming side may not be prepared for
non enter/leave pair of events.  That's understandable, but if you
are updating the consuming side to be able to do so, that would be
even better.

> Yeah, thanks, this did need to be reworked. I pushed the regions down
> into pack_objects() and receive_status(), which look like the only two
> places we might spend much time.

Sounds good.

This is a tangent, but I doubt we have many users without sideband
support.  In the longer term we may be able to drop the non-sideband
codepath, which would automatically simplify the flow quite a bit
around here.  But that is totally outside of this topic.

Thanks.