Subject: Re: With big repos and slower connections, git clone can be hard to work with

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2024 13:34:12 -0700

Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]> writes:

> It seems to me that packfile URIs and bundle URIs are similar enough
> that we could work out similar logic for both, no? Or maybe there's
> something I'm missing about the way bundle offloading differs from
> packfiles.

Probably we can deprecate one and let the other one take over?  It
seems that bundleURI have plenty of documentation, but the only hit
for packfile URI side I find in the output of

    $ git grep -i 'pack.*file.*uri' Documentation

is the description of how the designed protocol extension is
supposed to work in Documentation/technical/packfile-uri.txt and not
even the configuration variable uploadpack.blobPackfileURI that
controls the "experimental" feature is documented.

Perhaps whoever was adding the feature to the public side stopped
after pushing out the absolute minimum and lost interest or
something?  We should update the documentation to reflect the
current status (e.g. is it still experimental? what more work do we
need on top of it to make it no longer experimental?), add at least
minimum description for server operators how to configure it on the
server side, etc. (I am assuming that the end-user does not have to
do anything to get the feature, as long as their version of Git is
recent enough).

Thanks.