Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 00/28] Enrich Trailer API

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 11:57:07 -0800

Linus Arver <[email-masked]> writes:

> This sounds fine to me. IIRC this means for the 2nd, 3rd+ series I have
> to remember to say "this series builds on top of the other topic
> branches '...'" in the cover letter. Now that I've written this out I
> will hopefully not forget to do this...
>
> Or, I suppose I could just introduce the 1st sub-series, wait for that
> to get queued to next, then (re)introduce the 2nd sub-series, etc, in
> order. Hmm. I think this will be simpler.

FWIW, which was how the recent flurry of topics related to the
reftable backend were done by Patrick, which was quite nice.  People
certainly need the feel of larger picture to get motivated to review
an earlier part of the series, but now that they saw the projected
end-game, splitting these into 4 series, each with materials in 7 or
so patches in v4, and presenting in not-so-quick succession one by
one, would make it less distracting and less daunting.

>> I am a bit sad that this series doesn't introduce unit tests using the
>> new test framework in C yet. I understand that this series is mostly a
>> big refactoring and maybe it's better to introduce unit tests only
>> when the refactoring is finished though.
>
> This was my original goal as well, and still is.

That's OK.  If v4 were 40-patch series instead of 28, I am sure you
would have had the unit-test part near the end.  So a bite sized
series of serieses may not show the unit-tests while the earlier
batches are still cooking, but as long as we all are aiming for that
same goal, we are fine.  Let's help ourselves get there soon by
reviewing each other's patches ;-).

Thanks, both.