Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/4] notes: print note blob to stdout directly

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 09:35:28 -0800

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 06, 2024 at 09:52:38AM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>> > That is also a cool idea. That would probably use the functionality of
>> > the cat-file batch mode, right?
>> 
>> Not really.  I was hoping that "git show" that can take multiple
>> objects from its command line would directly be used, or with a new
>> option that gives a separator between these objects.
>
> How about:
>
>   cat some_commit_ids |
>   git show --stdin -s -z --format='%H%n%N'

Yeah, that is more in line with what I was hoping to see, instead of
invoking "git show %s" for a note object one by one.

Thanks.

Remind me if you can if we (1) had plans to allow non-blob objects
as notes, or (2) actively support to have non-text blob objects as
notes.  I _think_ we do assume people may try to add non-text blob
as notes (while they accept that they cannot merge two such notes on
the same object), but I do not recall if we planned to allow them to
store trees and commits.