Subject: Re: Migrate away from vger to GitHub or (on-premise) GitLab?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2024 11:04:41 -0800

"Theodore Ts'o" <[email-masked]> writes:

> So from an open source project perspective, which is primarily run by
> volunteers, each open source project has to make a cost-benefit
> tradeoff as far as the *project* is concerned.  Individuals do not
> have a fundamental human right to contribute to a project.  Hence, the
> open source project doesn't owe an obligation to spend a huge amount
> of effort supporting some kind of forge web site just because some
> potential contributors are clammoring for it.  Especially if they are
> saying that they can't be bothered to follow the mailing list traffic
> because it's somehow too much.

Thanks for saying this (even though with my Devil's advocate hat on,
I am not sure how strong our "this is run by volunteers, so do not
demand" card is these days).

> (Of course, I have all of the Linux kernel mailing list flowing into
> my inbox, and have e-mail practices that can handle that load --- so
> it's hard for me to have much sympathy about people complaining that
> the e-mail load for git is too large --- compared to LKML, it's
> *nothing*.  :-)

True, too.  We may have enough patch traffic but not enough reviews
on them.