Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 09/10] builtin/gc.c: make `gc.cruftPacks` enabled by default

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 10:31:00 -0700

Taylor Blau <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Being listed here is a definite sign that a feature behind a
>> configuration variable is considered experimental.  Do we have (and
>> if not, do we want to establish) a procedure to mark and announce a
>> feature that used to be experimental no longer is?  If it is enough
>> to mention it in the release notes, then I can take care of it, of
>> course.
>
> I am not aware of such a procedure. But personally I think it would be
> fine to mention it in the release notes for the next release.

OK.  I updated the entry for the topic in the draft "What's cooking"
report to read:

    * tb/enable-cruft-packs-by-default (2023-04-18) 10 commits
     - ...

     When "gc" needs to retain unreachable objects, packing them into
     cruft packs (instead of exploding them into loose object files) has
     been offered as a more efficient option for some time.  Now the use
     of cruft packs has been made the default and no longer considered
     an experimental feature.

     Will merge to 'next'.
     source: <[email-masked]>

and the per-topic description text is usually what is copied
verbatim to the release notes, so even if I forget, the procedure
will remember it for us ;-)

Thanks.