Subject: Re: [PATCH] remote: align columns on -v

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2023 08:19:39 -0800

Kir Kolyshkin <[email-masked]> writes:

> Currently, git remote -v produces a misaligned output when a remote name
> is more than 8 characters long (i.e. longer than a tab step). Here's how
> it looks like:

The condition under which URLs do not align is not when they are
more than 8 characters long.  If all of your remotes have
10-character names, their URLs would perfectly align, no?  The
description may need to be tightened if we really wanted to do this.

But I am skeptical, even without my devil's advocate hat on.

> giuseppe	https://github.com/giuseppe/runc (fetch)
> giuseppe	https://github.com/giuseppe/runc (push)
> kir	[email-masked]:kolyshkin/runc.git (fetch)
> ...

The current output allows programs to post-process by splitting each
line with a tab, but this change will break such practice and force
those who use such practice to do something different (like "split
at the first run of whitespaces or tabs").

> While at it, let's keep the \t in case some tools depend on it
> for parsing (there will still be trailing spaces in the remote name).

That will not help avoid breaking the behaviour for existing
practice (they did not need to strip the whitespaces, but now they
are forced to).  It only make the output uglier by putting mixture
of whitespaces and tabs.

So, I dunno.

Thanks.