Subject: Re: Re* --creation-factor=100 does not show code

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 15:19:03 -0700

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

> As to the original claim that percentages only go from 0-100, that is
> easily refuted. If you wanted to pay $12 for something but ended up having
> to pay $30, you'll end up having paid 150% more than planned. There you
> are. A percentage that is greater than 100.

Playing word games and nitpicks on what I said may have helped you
stroke your ego and annoy other folks (including me) in the
discussion, but unfortunately I do not think it is helping us get
closer to improve either the documentation or behaviour of
range-diff.  Now, let's be a bit more constructive and find a way to
unconfuse people like the original reporter?

When we say an option's value is expressed in <percent>, unless we
are careful, people will assume that the valid value the option will
take will lie between 0 and 100, and you cannot blame them.  IOW,
while the word "percent" may be 100% correct in your mind, the way
it is used to describe the feature in "git range-diff --help", it
was not sufficient to help readers.

If we were describing a hypothetical Git subcommand that shows a
picture of a panda, with an option to show the picture in different
sizes, perhaps "git panda --scale=<percent>" option is described
like so:

	--scale=<percent>::
		Instead of showing the picture of a panda at its
		default size, show it scaled.  "--scale=50" means
		show it at 50%, i.e. half the width and height.
		"--scale=200" would show the picture at twice the
		width and height.

and such a description would make it plenty clear that the valid
value range is not constrainted in 0..100.  We'd need something
similar to help users of "git range-diff".

Thanks.