Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 3/3] send-email docs: add format-patch options

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 21:07:35 -0700

Bagas Sanjaya <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 25/09/21 03.03, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Ah, thanks for explanation.
>>      git format-patch -2
>> would be options-only way to "indicate some sort of revision", so
>> perhaps
>>      . git send-email <send-email options> files|directory
>>      . git send-email <send-email options> <format-patch options>
>> (where "options" is used to refer to both --options and arguments)
>> would illustrate the differences better?
>> 
>
> But we can also directly specify revision range (commonly <common
> ancestor>..HEAD or HEAD ^<common ancestor>).

That is exactly why I have the parenthetical definition of what
"options" mean in my explanation.  

	git format-patch -2
	git format-patch master
	git format-patch master..HEAD

Everything after "git format-patch", i.e. -2, master, master..HEAD,
are usable, and there isn't much point in singling out revision
ranges.  FWIW, I think you can even give "-- <pathspec>" at the end,
which are not options or revision ranges.