Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 09/12] unix-socket: disallow chdir() when creating unix domain sockets

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2021 13:52:36 -0800

Jeff Hostetler <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I am OK to keep the series as-is, and leave it to a possible future
>> work to remove the need for chdir even for long paths and not having
>> to return an error with ENAMETOOLONG; when such an update happens,
>> the "fail if need to chdir" feature this patch is adding will become
>> a no-op.
>
> I think I'd like to keep things as I have them now with the "disallow
> chdir()" option bit

So we are on the same page.

> and save the "fork() / bind()" solution for a
> later patch series.  Simple IPC is large enough as it is and the new
> ENAMETOOLONG error will only affect callers who set the bit.  A later
> patch series can easily test and confirm the "fork() / bind() solution
> in isolation and test it on the other Unix hosts and then remove the
> bit from those callers (if we want).

The bit will then become an unused API relic, but that is OK (I do
not think fork/bind would be the best and/or only way to avoid
chdir, though, but it won't matter in the context ofh tis
discussion).