Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] travis: run tests with GIT_TEST_SPLIT_INDEX

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 11:15:00 -0800

Lars Schneider <[email-masked]> writes:

>> You're right, it's my first time using travis CI and I got confused
>> about how the .travis.yml works, thanks for catching that.  Will
>> re-phrase the commit message.
>
> Szeder is spot on. If you fix up the message, then this patch looks
> perfect! Pragmatic (= very good!) idea to combine GITTEXT_POISON with 
> GIT_TEST_SPLIT_INDEX :-)

I am failing to guess the real intent of the smiley here.

If split-index code is so easy to break, I do not think it is a good
idea to combine it into the poison build.  In fact, the poison test
is useless on a codebase where other/real breakages are expected to
exist, because it is about seeing messages meant for non-humans are
not passed to the _() mechanism by sloppy coding, and the way it
does so is to corrupt all the messages that come through the _()
mechanism.  If we do not even produce a message when a correct code
_should_ produce one, poison test would catch nothing useful.

I wonder if it makes more sense to update ci/run-tests.sh so that
its final step is run twice with different settings, like so?

 ci/run-tests.sh | 1 +
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)

diff --git a/ci/run-tests.sh b/ci/run-tests.sh
index f0c743de94..15a5f5a6cc 100755
--- a/ci/run-tests.sh
+++ b/ci/run-tests.sh
@@ -8,3 +8,4 @@
 mkdir -p $HOME/travis-cache
 ln -s $HOME/travis-cache/.prove t/.prove
 make --quiet test
+GIT_TEST_SPLIT_INDEX=LetsTryIt make --quiet test