Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] date: make "local" orthogonal to date format

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2015 08:54:57 -0700

John Keeping <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Sep 02, 2015 at 05:30:14PM -0400, Jeff King wrote:
>> I think the error message would be a lot nicer if we indicate that "-"
>> is syntactically interesting, and say:
>> 
>>   fatal: unknown date-mode modifier: locale
>
> I wonder if we'd be better just saying:
>
> 	fatal: unknown date format: short-locale
>
> I'm not sure users will consider "local" to be a modifier, there is
> simply a list of formats that happens to include pairs of matching
> "-local" and "not -local" variants.

Either is acceptable and better than the 'e' output.  I think yours
is better because it would equally work well for those who think in
terms of "modifier" and those who think in terms of "flat list of
possibilities".

Thanks.