Subject: Re: [PATCH] read-cache: fix indentation in read_index_from

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 13:12:03 -0700

Stefan Beller <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I'll queue it for this time, but in general, I'd prefer if people
>> refrained from touching code only for style fixes in an area that is
>> touched actively in topics, unless it is done inside a topic that
>> has to touch that area of the code in order to do something more
>> than style fixes.
>
> Right. :(
>
> The problem here is that I was looking to use read_index_from
> in the submodule code to implement recursive actions, but as I
> could not find documentation on how to use it, I read the code.
> And whenever I see obvious things to fix (such as style),
> I cannot stop myself from shooting from the hip, sending a patch.
> I'll stop doing that.

Don't stop; instead queue and keep them on your own queue, so that
you can find a good time to send them out.

A good rule-of-thumb for "good time" is when "git diff maint pu"
does not show any overlap to the context and preimage of your
patches.

Thanks.