Subject: Re: [PATCH] stash: Add stash.showFlag config variable

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 18:08:39 -0700

Namhyung Kim <[email-masked]> writes:

> +stash.showFlag::
> +	The default option to pass to `git stash show` when no option is
> +	given. The default is '--stat'.  See description of 'show' command
> +	in linkgit:git-stash[1].

Doesn't the same discussion in $gmane/275752 apply here?  By
designing the configuration variable in a sloppy way, this change
will force us to spawn "git diff" via the shell forever, even after
somebody ports "git stash" to C.

Which is not great.

Perhaps a pair of new booleans

 - stash.showStat (defaults to true but you can turn it off)
 - stash.showPatch (defaults to false but you can turn it on)

or something along that line might be sufficient and more palatable.

I dunno.

[Footnote]

*1* Besides, showFlag is a strange configuration variable name.  I
thought that by setting it to true, you are making "git stash"
command to somehow show some kind of a flag when it does its
operation ;-).