Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/7] Flags and config to sign pushes by default

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 11:47:43 -0700

Dave Borowitz <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 1:21 PM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> My preference on Bikeshed 1. would probably be to add
>>
>>     --sign=yes/no/if-asked
>>
>> and to keep --[no-]signed for "no" and "yes" for existing users.
>
> Incidentally, I just looked up incidence of true/false vs. yes/no in
> command line options,...

My yes/no was a short-hand for "yes" (and various other ways to
spell "true") and "no" (and various other ways to spell "false").  I
was NOT bikeshedding to say "I do not like true/false but favor
yes/no".

I actually was expecting a short discussion on sign vs signed,
though.  As "tag --sign" is not "tag --signed" even though we call
the resulting object a "signed tag", "push --sign" may be a good
enough way to spell "signed push".  I _think_ signed pushes are
recent enough that we still have time to deprecate --signed form,
but I do not think it is worth it.

So an updated suggestion would be that we'd take (this is a pretty
much exhaustive enumeration) these:

    --no-signed
    --signed
    --signed=if-asked
    --signed=yes/true/on/1/2...
    --signed=no/false/off/0

We might want to throw in 'always' and 'never' as synonyms for
'true' and 'false', but again I do not think it is worth the
confusion factor, as 'always' and 'true' already mean different
things in some other contexts.

Thanks.