Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-send-email.perl: Add sendmail aliases support

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 14:19:46 -0700

Allen Hubbe <[email-masked]> writes:

> The diff doesn't show enough context to include this comment:
>
> my %parse_alias = (
>         # multiline formats can be supported in the future
> ...
>
> I can't be sure the author's intent, but my interpretation is such.
> The parsers do not support multiline, even though the format might
> allow it by definition.  Another interpretation could be, no multiline
> formats allowed, or, the first person to add a multiline format should
> remove this comment.

I think that comment were only meant to apply to the first one, mutt.

In any case, you should read it this way:

    Some formats may support multi-line; this parser back when the
    comment was written did not support an alias file that uses such
    a feature, but it is OK to make it support them in the future. 

After all, these subs are slurping from $fh and doing the parsing
themselves, so they are free to do multi-line if they wanted to.
It's not like there is a calling function that feeds input line by
line after splitting a logically continued line into two (and if
that were the case, supporting multi-line format may become harder
or even impossible).

And as I said, it is OK not to support ones that have folded lines.

All I was saying was that we should not SILENTLY fail or do a wrong
thing when we find something we do not support.