Subject: Re: Draft of Git Rev News edition 1

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 21:49:41 -0700

Thomas Ferris Nicolaisen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Good point. There hasn't been a decision on frequency. Weekly is a
> good rhythm for publications seeking readership, but that's a lot of
> work. My vote is we should first aim for a monthly consistent release.
> I'll try working this into the draft, and Christian may change as he
> sees fit.

I agree weekly would be too much for any hobbist, given how
high-volume our list has, but I probably shouldn't have said
"periodical".  Surely, aiming for consistent update is a very good
thing to gain reader trust if anything else, but it is OK if it were
"we will see a new release when enough interesting things happen",
too.

The primary reason I suggested to explicitly state the beginning of
coverage is to set and manage the expectation of the readers.  I
think the current draft roughly covers 1/4 - 1/3 of discussions that
happened in the month of March 2015 and nothing earlier than that,
so "This issue covers what happened in March" or something would be
appropriate.  I'll throw a pull-request.

>>  - As an inaugural edition, we may want to have a word on
>>    how it came in existence by covering the discussion that
>>    led to its birth. Perhaps the discussion that led to the
>>    publication should be made into as an item on its own,
>>    next to "make git-pull a builtin", "Forbid log --graph..." etc.
>>    Because it is neither a review nor a support discussion,
>>    "Reviews & Support" heading may want to become
>>    "Discussions". I think that is a better title for the section
>>    anyway, if its purpose is "what happened on the list that
>>    are not visible from "git log", as I expect future editions
>>    to cover design discussions that advanced the shared
>>    understanding of a problem but not quite solidified to
>>    become a patch series.
>>
>
> I hope it's OK that I leave this bit to Christian.

I took a stab at this myself, and threw another pull-request.

Thanks.