Subject: Re: [PATCH] sequencer: preserve commit messages

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 11:49:18 -0800

Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hmm. With "--edit", current config being in effect should be expected,
> right? So how about:
>
> In case of no conflict: force cleanup=verbatim unless --edit is used?

Perhaps something like that.

Stepping back a bit and imagine a world where the sole purpose of
cherry-pick were to recreate the original commit as faithfully as
possible.  The commit log message would not be cleaned up in such
a case by default, and the users need cherrypick.cleanup setting
if they do not like that default.

The implementation of cherry-pick that does not spawn the editor
in that world would look like this:

    - read the cleanup mode from cherrypick.cleanup config; if there
      is none, read the cleanup mode from commit.cleanup config; if
      neither is defined, then use 'verbatim' as the default;

    - invoke "commit --cleanup=" + that mode from the command line
      to force the mode chosen by the above.

Thanks to the falling back to commit.cleanup, the above logic would
be usable even before we invent cherrypick.cleanup configuration,
i.e. in today's world.  If there is no commit.cleanup defined by the
user, the above logic would still use 'verbatim' as the default for
'cherry-pick', while using the 'default' for 'commit'.

When cherry-pick invokes the editor, then the first part would be
different.  So my conclusion would be something like:

    #if IN_THE_FUTURE
        if (config_exists(cherrypick.cleanup))
            mode = config_value(cherrypick.cleanup);
        else
    #endif
        if (config_exists(commit.cleanup))
            mode = config_value(commit.cleanup);
        else
            mode = editing ? 'verbatim' : 'default';

        invoke "commit --cleanup=" + mode;

perhaps?