Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/6] repack_without_refs(): convert to string_list

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 10:00:09 -0800

Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]> writes:

> I don't think that those iterations changed anything substantial that
> overlaps with my version, but TBH it's such a pain in the ass working
> with patches in email that I don't think I'll go to the effort of
> checking for sure unless somebody shows interest in actually using my
> version.
>
> Sorry for being grumpy today :-(

Is the above meant as a grumpy rant to be ignored, or as a
discussion starter to improve the colaboration to allow people to
work better together instead of stepping on each other's patches?

FWIW, I liked your rationale for "many smaller steps".

One small uncomfort in that approach is that it often is not very
obvious by reading "log -p master.." alone how well the end result
fits together.  Each individual step may make sense, or at least it
may not make it any worse than the original, but until you apply the
whole series and read "diff master..." in a sitting, it is somewhat
hard to tell where you are going.  But this is not "risk" or "bad
thing"; just something that may make readers feel uncomfortable---we
are not losing anything by splitting a series into small logical
chunks.

Thanks.