Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] Makefile: Reorder linker flags in the git executable rule

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 10:42:21 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 02:54:56PM -0400, David Michael wrote:
>
>> Yes, the compiler refuses to run by default when a "-L" option occurs
>> after a source/object file.  It tries to interpret it as another file
>> name and fails.
>
> Yeah, I think I have seen similar behavior before, but it has been long
> enough that I no longer remember the compiler in use.
>
>> I believe I can work around the error with an "export _C89_CCMODE=1",
>> but I thought I'd send the patch since this is the only occurrence of
>> the problem, and the argument order is inconsistent with other linker
>> commands in the file.
>
> I don't think working around it makes sense. That would fix your case,
> but nobody else's (though given how long it has been that way without
> complaints, I suspect any other compilers this picky may have died off).

I think you meant s/nobody else's/breaks &/;

With that, I agree with your assessment.  The diff itself is
probably fine as-is (I didn't look at it for more than 10 seconds,
though ;-).  And I agree that it needs to be better explained.

>> Do you want me to resend the patch and reference the IBM documentation
>> in the message?
>
> I don't think you need to. More interesting than documentation is the
> real-world breakage you experienced and the analysis of the situation.
> I'd be fine taking the patch as-is, or if changing anything, mentioning
> the failure mode in the commit message.
>
> -Peff