Subject: Re: [PATCH] implemented strbuf_write_or_die()

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2014 10:45:46 -0800

Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 03/03/2014 07:31 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> That is a very good sign why this change is merely a code-churn and
>> not an improvement, isn't it?  We know (and any strbuf user should
>> know) that ->buf and ->len are the ways to learn the pointer and the
>> length the strbuf holds.
> ...
> ... Writing strbufs comes up frequently and will hopefully increase in
> usage and I think it is a positive thing to encourage the use of strbufs
> by making them increasingly first-class citizens.

Yeah, I understand that.  I suspect that the conclusion would have
been very different if we were a C++ project; most likely it would
be an excellent idea to add an often-used write_or_die() method to
the strbuf class.  But we are writing C.

> Faiz, this is the way things go on the Git mailing list.  It would be
> boring if everybody agreed all the time :-)

Surely, and thanks ;-)