Subject: Re: [PATCH] object-file: avoid ODB transaction when not writing objects

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2026 15:24:06 -0700

Justin Tobler <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 26/04/07 02:53PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > I'd appreciate it if you can give your eyeballs to the attached to
>> > see if that is how you would fixed the bug in the original context
>> > of v2.52 track.  If everything looks OK, then there is no need to
>> > spend time backporting on your side.  We have everything necessary.
>> 
>> Another thing.  Your jt/odb-transaction-write topic (in 'seen')
>> already addresses this issue, so we may merge this single patch down
>> to 'next' and 'master' first, but the merge that brings in the topic
>> can just supersede this patch, perhaps keeping the test added to
>> t1517.
>
> That would work :)
>
>> Do I understand correctly?  The t1517 part of the patch, when
>> applied to 'seen', does indicate that the problem is not there.
>
> Yes, that is correct. The jt/odb-transaction-write topic indeed already
> fixes this issue. The patch here is just a slimmed down version of a
> patch from that series.
>
> I can also send a follow up version for the topic built on top of this
> patch if that would be preferred. Otherwise, replacing the patch with
> the original topic and keeping the test as you suggested would work just
> fine.

OK.  I think I am almost done preparing for tonight's pushout, so
please double check, and complain if you see something that is
questionable, when it happens.  It probably will happen in 2 hours
or so.

Thanks.