Subject: Re: [PATCH] commit: add --committer option

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2025 09:38:09 -0800

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sun, Nov 09, 2025 at 10:22:54AM +0000, ZheNing Hu via GitGitGadget wrote:
>> From: ZheNing Hu <[email-masked]>
>> 
>> Add --committer option to git-commit, allowing users to override the
>> committer identity similar to how --author works. This provides a more
>> convenient alternative to setting GIT_COMMITTER_* environment variables.
>
> Yeah, I can see how that's useful.

Well, I don't.  Naming somebody other than yourself as the author
may be something that is needed from time to time by human users,
but lying about the committer who made commits?  Our tradition is to
give long rope to let users hang themselves, but we already have the
environment variable override specifically designed for scripted uses,
where there may be very legit uses of recording arbitrary committer
identity that has nothing to do with the identity the current user
who is running the Git processes usually uses.  I do not think it is
a "useful" change to make it more it ergonomic to perform certain
operations that we may not want to encourage.

So I dunno.