Subject: Re: [GSoC][PATCH 0/2] Add refs exists subcommand

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2025 09:01:02 -0700

Meet Soni <[email-masked]> writes:

> base-commit: c44beea485f0f2feaf460e2ac87fdd5608d63cf0
> prerequisite-patch-id: 235cc677f372e9571dade4313f8cfed4eab65f7f
> ... (~100 lines of crap omitted)
> prerequisite-patch-id: 553adfe23223a427db3f93e23dfb603c55cc5aae

Please don't force others to go hunt to find so many patches before
being able to even recreate what you based your changes on.

Learn the way how it is usually done by looking at:

https://lore.kernel.org/git/20[email-masked]/

Basically you would want to say

    This is built on top of <commit> with <topic*> merged into it.

where <commit> is a commit on 'master' (or 'maint' or an even older
maintenance track, if the topic is about fixing a bug in a released
version of Git), and <topic*> are topic branches in flight that can
be merged to the same integration target ('master', or an older
maintenance tracks you chose <commit> from).  And keep the number of
<topic*> to an absolute minimum in order for your changes to work.

Thanks.