Subject: Re: [PATCH] GIT-VERSION-GEN: allow it to be run in parallel

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2025 12:00:11 -0800

Martin Ågren <[email-masked]> writes:

>> ... attempts to remedy this in git/git were unsuccessful, see e.g.
>> https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
> ...
> You could use "$OUTPUT"."$$"+ to restore this. That of course
> invalidates your remark about "Incidentally, ..." above, but might give
> this fix a tiny bit less chance of regressing something somewhere?

Thanks for being careful.

My reading of that old thread cited there tells me that the reason
that previous one failed was mostly because it wasn't being self
consistent and only touched the use of "+" in the Documentation
directory but not what the top-level Makefile did, and also because
it did not adjust .gitignore patterns, so it is good that somebody
actually read the cited thread and made sure this time we do better.

Again, I was not opposed to moving from "+" to something else that
is equally short-and-sweet, and I still am not ("~" is a fine suffix
for this kind of thing, for example).  But if we are aiming for a
short-term fix, I think your ".$$+" may make the most sense.

Thanks.